Energy Performance Certificates

Get an EPC

Compare utilities deals

Making EPCs as easy as ABC

An Energy Performance Certificate is a legal requirement for any house being advertised for sale or rent in the UK. It is commonly referred to as an EPC and you need to get one within 28 days of putting your property on the market. So what is an EPC and how do you get one? Read on – all is explained….

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

The EPC provides an energy rating from A to G, based on the fabric of the building and its services, (heating, ventilation and lighting) that buyers can use to make comparisons with other properties. The EPC report includes recommendations on how to improve the energy performance of the property and an indication of the payback period.

An EPC helps home owners reduce the environmental impact of their homes and informs prospective buyers about the energy performance of the property they’re interested in. This means they can consider energy efficiency (carbon emissions and fuel bills) when making their decision to buy a new home.

How long is an Energy Performance Certificate valid for?

An EPC is valid for 10 years. You can market your home as soon as you’ve ordered an Energy Performance Certificate, before the assessment has been carried out.

If your current EPC is coming to the end of its validity period it will remain valid for as long as your property is continuously on the market. However, if you temporarily take your home off the market for more than 28 days, you will need to obtain a new one if it has expired by the time you put your home back on the market.

How do I get an Energy Performance Certificate?

EPCs can only be issued by accredited domestic energy assessors Contact your energy company or estate agent to put you in touch with an approved assessor. They also work independently, so it’s worth looking around locally. . Always check that your chosen assessor belongs to an accredited scheme.

Get an EPC


Compare utilities deals

Top Tip


Properties subject to a condition which limits their use to occupation for less than 11 months per year or are used as holiday accommodation are exempt from needing an EPC.


Useful Links