Moving items out of your current property and into your new home takes a great deal of organisation, time and physical strength. If you’ve got a lot of boxes, fragile items, valuables or heavy pieces of furniture to move, then appointing a professional removal company is a worthwhile investment. And it’s crucial you find the removal company that’s right for you.
Get several quotes from a range of removal firms. Use Move Planner to get free quotes for BAR removal companies that cover your area. Remember to read the small print as quotes can be presented differently and may not cover the same things. After all, you don’t want to be faced with a surprising invoice on moving day.
Don’t necessarily go with the removal firm offering the lowest price. You need to factor in the removal company’s availability and the service you’ll receive. Remember that you will be trusting them with your worldly possessions.
Choosing a removal firm that has committed to BAR membership is a good starting point because it shows they're willing to be held up to a minimum standard. BAR members have minimum standards of conduct for membership which will be in your interests such as legal, licensed vehicles, protection for your deposit and arbitration or free conciliation in the unlikely event something goes wrong.
In addition to a strict code of practice approved by Trading Standards, the British Association of Removers (BAR) requires their members to:
• Only employ suitably trained and qualified staff
• Operate from licensed commercial premises
• Provide suitable, appropriately licensed legal vehicles
• Offer insurance for your possessions
• Be bound by independent arbitration and conciliation in the event a complaint cannot be resolved
• Provide fixed price written quotations and contracts in plain English
• Comply with all relevant regulatory standards
• Act in your best interests at all times
• Agree to annual inspection
• What level and type of insurance cover is offered?
• Are they Members of the British Association of Removers? If not why not?
• How long has the company been trading and can they supply references?
• How will you pack and protect my belongings and house?
• How will the move be carried out? E.g. number of days, time of arrival, crew size etc.
• What will security be like if your goods are on a vehicle overnight?
• Do you have an office or depot I can visit?
Just as you wouldn't hire a shifty looking person with a banger of a van to work on your gas boiler, don't skimp on the removal company you're going to ask to drive off with your house hold possessions and valuables.
Start early and give yourself plenty of time to choose the best removal company for your home move. Begin your search well before your completion date as the quoting process can take several weeks and good professional removal companies get booked up very quickly.
The last thing you or your removal firm need is for a half mile trek to load the van. So, if you have any parking restrictions at your current or new address, let your removal company know so they can contact your local authority to have them removed on moving day.
Get the best from your removal company and communicate with them as early as possible. Ensure the move goes smoothly and confirm your new hope details well before the move date. Let them know about the property layout and access points so they know exactly what to expect and are aware of any potential difficulties with getting large pieces of furniture up stairs and through doors.